Academic, Administrative, and Other Buildings
Allen House (Reading Camp) Formerly the home to the English as Second Language program (ESOL). Allen International Junior College provided a donation towards the building’s renovation. Currently, the building is used as the campus Reading Camp for aspiring teachers.
Cornerstone Baptist Student Ministries This building was previously First Nazarene Church constructed in 1942. The building was purchased by the University in 2002 and completely renovated. It is now home to the BSM.
C.R. Clements Building is an external relations building given by Mr. & Mrs. Kenneth Kirkpatrick in honor of Mr. C.R. Clements (1981). The building was renovated in 2001.
Davidson Educational Building was made possible through a gift from the Davidson Foundation. Constructed in 1983, the complex provides classrooms, computer facilities, and office space for the Computer and Information Sciences, English, and Modern Foreign Languages.
Frazier Center, built in 1960, houses Graduate Counseling and Psychology and Campus host offices.
Hardy Hall , named in honor of former president Dr. J.C. Hardy, contains a reception area, dining hall on the second floor, and classrooms and offices for the departments of Undergraduate Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, Criminal Justice, ROTC and the Center for Academic Excellence. The building was constructed in 1929.
Heard Hall , This is the oldest building on campus. Constructed in 1919, it originally was used as a women’s residence hall from approximately 1919 to 1960, the building served as the administration building for a short time and currently houses academic offices.
Mabee Student Center was made possible by a grant from the J.E. and L.E. Mabee Foundation. Built in 1973, it contains the bookstore, post office, Crusader Cafe, Student Life, student activities (Information Station), Lillian Shelton Theater, student publications offices, classrooms, and Robert and Linda Black Center for Counseling, Testing, and Health Services, Student Life Offices, Student Organizations and Student Government. The building was expanded in 1995. Shelton Theater was renovated in 2003.
Parker Academic Center is a multi-purpose facility housing classrooms, offices and student labs for the College of Education and College of Business. The facility was completed in the summer of 2002 and is named in honor of Dr. Bobby E. Parker, former President.
Parker House The house is named in honor of former president and Chancellor Dr. Bobby E. Parker and his wife Marietta, by the donor, Mrs. JoAn Musick-Flowers. In 1989, the residence opened where the Parker’s resided until Dr. Parker’s resignation as president in 1991. Dr. Jerry Bawcom and his wife was the last president to live in the house. Dr. Bawcom retired in 2009. The summer of 2009 brought a total remodel to the house and converted it to the ALUMNI Center on the first floor and Museum on the second floor.
Paul and Jane Meyer Christian Studies Center was made possible by a gift from Paul and Jane Meyer and was completed in the summer of 2008. This building contains offices, classrooms, a library and a chapel for the College of Christian Studies.
Presser Fine Arts Building was made possible by a gift from the Presser Foundation and contains studios, practice rooms, faculty offices for the Art, Music, and Theatre, as well as Hughes Recital Hall named in memory of J.K. and Annie Hughes. The building was constructed in 1929. The recital hall was refurbished in 1979 through a generous gift made by Raymond L. Dillard and Genevieve Hughes Dillard (class of ’31).
Sanderford Administrative Complex, named in memory of the parents of T.E. Sanderford, was made possible by a substantial gift from Mr. and Mrs. T.E. Sanderford and was completed in 1979. The complex houses the administrative offices of the University, including the Registrar’s Office, Admissions & Recruiting and Financial Aid. Renovations to the building completed in 1997 and a two-story addition was completed in 2007.
The Digital Media Center, located at 207 W. 11th serves the campus with hardware for audio-visual instruction and duplication services.
Townsend Memorial Library, named for Dr. and Mrs. E.G. Townsend, contains approximately 150,000 volumes, including bound periodicals and microfilm, and receives over 4,500 current periodicals and newspapers. The fully automated library has access to the Internet, electronic journals, more than 3,500 of which are full-text, and numerous electronic databases. This building was constructed in 1961 and remodeled in 1994.
UMHB Community Life Center, located at 717 College Street provides affordable counseling to those in need of services in Bell County.
Watkins Missionary Home, named for Sue Watkins, an alumna of Mary Hardin-Baylor. This building was remodeled in 2003, and now houses the Campus Police Department.
J.W. Williams Service Center was built in 1948 and named for long-time (1936-41, 1948-77) maintenance supervisor, J.W. Williams. This facility houses offices and shops for the Department of Facilities Services.
Wells Nursing and Science Hall, named for former president Dr. E.H. Wells, was constructed in 1920. It is devoted to classrooms, laboratories, and offices for the Mathematics and Nursing departments. The building was renovated in 1996 and 2001.
W.W. Walton Chapel was completed in the spring of 1967. Named for donor W.W. Walton of Bartlett. The building serves as a chapel and auditorium. The Chapel was remodeled in 2003.
Gertrude York Art Studio was made possible by a gift from the family of Dr. C. L. York and named for his wife. The building was opened in 1996 and houses studio space for ceramics and sculpture for the Art Department.
York House located at 803 College St. was dedicated to International Student Services. This building incorporates the international office, a computer lab, and student lounge. International Student Union meets here and hosts international events.
York Science Center , named in honor of the Dr. C.L. York family, a former faculty member, provides offices, classrooms, and laboratories for the Biology and Chemistry departments and contains the Anne Ammons Brindley Auditorium . The building was completed in 1996.
Andersen Fieldhouse was made possible by a gift from the Andersen Foundation and was opened in 1998. The finest NCAA Division III fieldhouse in existence, the facility combines state-of-the-art video and training facilities for the football program with offices for the football program staff.
Cummins Fieldhouse was named in honor of Chris and Cindy Cummins of College Station, Texas. This Field House will provide an additional 9,429 square feet of space for the Crusader football program, with expanded locker rooms, showers and restroom facilities for the players. Located adjacent to Anderson Fieldhouse, Cummins Fieldhouse opened in 2011.
Dee Dillon Softball Field was dedicated to honor Dee Dillon, chair-person of the Health and Physical Education department at UMHB from 1954-1965. A new field house, located within the Sportsplex, was completed in 2004.
Mayborn Campus Center opened in January 2005. This 122,000 square foot facility provides offices for coaches and the Exercise Sport Science faculty, classrooms, a fitness center, a natatorium, an indoor jogging track, a 2500 seat multi-purpose special events center, and the Mabee-Farris recreation gymnasium.
Red Murff Baseball Field was dedicated in 1994 to honor Red Murff who helped start the baseball program at UMHB in the 1970’s. A new state of the art field, located within the Sportsplex, was completed in 2004.
Beall Hall is an apartment style residential building hall made possible by and named for Mary and James Beall, which houses both males and females. This building was opened in 2000.
Burt Hall is a women’s residence hall made possible by a gift from Mr. and Mrs. R.E. Burt. The building was constructed in 1920 and remodeled in 1990 and 2001.
Farris Hall, named for Mrs. Martha White Farris, a graduate of 1942 and a steadfast supporter of her alma mater. This building was constructed in 2011.
Gettys Memorial Hall is a men’s residence hall named for Dr. and Mrs. A.C. Gettys. The building was constructed in 1965 and renovated in 1991.
Huckins is an apartment complex for students. The complex was purchased and remodeled in 1995. The exterior facade was upgraded in 2004.
Johnson Hall is a women’s residence hall named for the mother of Lyndon Baines Johnson, former President of the United States. The building was constructed in 1968 and renovated in 1991.
McLane Hall is a men’s residence hall named for Mr. Drayton McLane, Jr., of Temple, a major benefactor. The building was completed in 1989. The building was renovated in 2002.
Remschel Hall is a women’s residence hall named in honor of Corrine Remschel, a 1931 graduate. The building was completed in 1993. The building was renovated in 2007.
Stribling Hall is a women’s residence hall named for the daughter of J.C. Stribling, whose gift made the building possible. The building was constructed in 1920 and renovated in 1990.
The name, Independence Village, pays tribute to the beginnings of the university’s history, which was founded in Independence, Texas as part of Baylor University. The complex, composed of apartment-style housing, was originally opened in 1996 and expanded in 1998, 2005, and 2010.
- Shannon Commons building, named for John H. Shannon, honorary member of the UMHB Alumni Association and late husband of Pat Lockridge Shannon, Class of 1953. The building was constructed in 2005.
- Clark Hall named for Dr. Horace Clark, principal of the Female Department of Baylor University and president of Baylor Female College, in 1871. This building was constructed in 1996.
- Ferguson Hall named for Miriam Amanda “Ma” Ferguson, a former student of the late 1800s and first woman governor of Texas. This building was constructed in 1996.
- Garner Hall named for the late John Hood Garner and Alleen Weatherford Garner, longtime residents of Belton. This building was constructed in 2010.
- Grover Hall named for the late O. Stanley and Blanche Grover, avid supporters and recruiters for the university. This building was constructed in 1996.
- Hobby Hall named for Oveta Culp Hobby, a former student of the early 1920s, a businesswoman and first commanding officer of the Women’s Army Corps. This building was constructed in 2005.
- James Hall named for the James family, which has maintained close ties with the university since 1885 by serving on the board of trustees, teaching, and attending the university. Eleanor James, Class of 1933, was the author of “Forth from Her Portals,” a history of the first 100 years of the university in Belton. This building was constructed in 1998.
- Provence Hall named for Sally A. Provence, a graduate of 1937 and former professor of pediatrics at Yale University. This building was constructed in 1998.
- Taylor Hall named for Mattie E. Taylor, a graduate of 1910 and former member of the board of trustees. This building was constructed in 1998.
- Tryon Hall named for William M. Tryon, one of the original founders of the university in 1845. This building was constructed in 1998.
- Tyson Hall named for Dr. Arthur K. Tyson, president of Mary Hardin-Baylor College from 1954 to 1966. This building was constructed in 2005.
- Wilson Hall named for William A. Wilson, president of Baylor Female College from 1896 to 1911. This building was constructed in 2005.
Points of Interest/Landmarks:
Allen International College Plaza
Baylor Academy Gazebo Plaza
Campus Boys Gazebo
Class of ’42-’46 People Place
Christ in the Garden Sculpture
Crusader Sculpture at Mayborn Campus Center
Forth From Her Portals Sculpture
Fountain in Vann Circle
Intramural/Band Rehearsal Field
Luther Memorial/Old Baylor Bell Tower
Millennium Oaks Park
N.B. Moon Building (Bell Baptist Association)
Parker Prayer Garden
Senior Bell Plaza
Student Memorial in Millennium Oaks Park
York Sesquicentennial Plaza